Wednesday, 11 February 2015

Has social media increased the quality of news?

As I sit here thinking up what to write for this assignment, I reflect upon my day. It was a normal day. I woke up and proceeded with my normal morning routine, I went to class and I came back home as I do every single day. Except, this morning while eating my breakfast and checking my feeds, I came across devastating news. Last night in North Carolina, 3 young Muslim people were shot in their own apartment. There was absolutely no main stream news coverage. Instead, I found out about through Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, and Reddit. Three innocent people were murdered by a crazy terrorist, and the media did not say anything about it. Any educated and well informed individual will know that the media is very prejudiced when it comes to Islam and Muslims. The media always portrays us in bad light, highlighting the lunatics as "Muslim extremists". Yet when a non-Muslim person murders people in cold blood, execution style, the news only cares about what his wife has to say about the incident.

Without continuing my rant, my point is that yes, I definitely agree that social media has increased the quality and accuracy of information. People can tweet or post their opinions and research to share with everyone around the globe, rather than only depending on what they see on Fox News or CNN. People can educated themselves and relieve themselves of ignorance when they can communicate with each other.

People can protest for several different causes and shed light on all the corruption of media, enlightening their followers to the truth, or at least to less lies and deceit.

#ChapelHillShooting #AllLivesMatter #BlackLivesMatter #Justice

1 comment:

  1. I totally AGREE with you Alaa. For sure, social media has increased the quality of news, because as you mentioned, there are news that never appear on TV, but people should know about everything bad that is happening around us. Plus, with the new technology and different devices and apps that we use it is way easier to post something immediately online and others can view and comment on it.

    ReplyDelete